Saturday, September 12, 2009

Dooms day (written on Weds Sept. 9, 2009)

This morning I was awaken with an alarming thought ringing loudly in my head. I looked out my window and darkness still reigned. I had yet a few more hours to get ready in peace and quiet before the final hour. I went about my usual morning routine while 10:10 wins on the radio belted out the latest news, weather and commercials in between.

I do not falter in my morning rituals. It is the same routine day after day. I do this without even thinking and most of the time with my eyes half closed. This morning was a bit different. There was an edge about me, a nervous frenzy, and haste. What usually takes me about an hour and a half of one, took me just about 45mnts. It was a Glorious Victory of sorts. I even had enough time to actually sit and have a cup of coffee heading out of the door to journey my way to the office.

Oh how I love moments like these. Moments of peace and a comforting silence that envelopes you in bliss. The first sip of coffee is always the best; kissing my lips with its warmth and awakening in me the ability to tread on another day. Yes. It’s that serious. I savor each sip sometimes closing my eyes and feeling the warm liquid make its way down. Delicious. Perfect. Delightful.

Ehem, enough about that. I grabbed my golden colored purse made sure my Poochie had enough water to drink and walked out the door. Now this is where it gets interesting. Usually walking to the train station, it is quite quiet. I tend to hear music and walk along to the beat; arms pumping back and forth legs trying to keep up as the music playing from my iPod vibrates throughout my entire body uplifting my spirit and bring a smile to my face. This day in particular was different. This day would change my routine for months to come. IT’S BACK TO SCHOOL DAY!!!!

Today hundreds of kids in my neighborhood and adjoining ones arose early each to reach their designated schools. They plague the streets with new book bags; clothes, sneakers and the first day of school jitters each of them with a smile on their face as they march almost rhythmically to a beat only they can hear.

For a moment, it brought a smile to my face as I saw in their faces the glee of a new start the excitement of the unknown, a fresh new beginning. Hope. Then reality hit. From now till June, mornings will never be the same. Now what was a packed train will now be super packed train full of young girls laughing loudly and talking at ear piercing levels. Young guys with the music from the headphones so loud it’s a wonder they still can hear.

I stand plastered against one of the doors that will lead you into the next car, with not even an inch more to move. Strangers faces so close to me I can see every bump on their faces and smell the coffee on their breaths or other not very pleasant odors.

The entire train car can hear a conversation going on by two teenage girls about their summer and expectations of the school year as well as guys they were newly dating. Its seven stops before I reach the destination in which I will transfer to an express train that will take me to my final destination and I am forced to hear this teenage gossip. Finally, the train stops and we all turn towards the doors that will soon open up and we all will file out and begin to walk taking tiny steps toward the stairs. We look like sheep being herded on the pasture.

I take a look around me one moment and notice so many new young faces. I am already exhausted and tired and I have yet to reach the office and the noise around me is at a deafening level.

I finally reach the second level and wait for the express train. Near me there are a few student also waiting for the same train and I tuned into them listening to them speak about what teachers they hope to have and which ones they want to avoid. They are already planning to “cut” any classes they feel they don’t need.

We pile into the train and for the next few minutes all the adults here are also being subjected to more summer gossip and extremely loud laughing.

Finally I walk into my office, sit down in my chair and breathe deeply. I am safe for the time being until the next morning. It is a small and glorious victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment